I used to detest Brussel sprouts. Now I just roast them with garlic, salt/pepper and Nuvo’s Early Harvest olive oil and I’m in heaven.
Today we’re going to share a quick, simple and healthy recipe from everyone’s favorite cruciferous green.You may think of Kale salads as a glorified ‘Millennial’ food. But men and women have been munching on this superfood for millennia. In Scotland in the 1700s, Kale was used in a Halloween like a ritual, which would decide your marriage partner – Yikes!
But Kale is great because it can grow in tough conditions and it will surprisingly keep you full and energetic. And there is a good reason why Kale is so popular with the health crowd. Though it only has 36 calories, it has 5g of fiber and 0g fat. It comes packed with Vitamins K,A,C,B6 and full of all kinds of anti-oxidants your body loves. So how can we turn this bitter green into a tasty snack? Show me the Fat!!
Yes, of course, olive oil is the answer! And some salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, lemon, and pomegranate go a long way and no way can we forget about the other secret weapon – garlic..hmmm garlic. So where to begin?
This recipe is so simple and tasty and only requires about 5 ingredients. Also of note, if you ‘re going to eat the salad within an hour or two, you can make the dressing in the bottom of the salad bowl, mix in your leafy greens and let everything soak together for 30min -1hour.
The first step – get your ingredients and your mixing bowl.
- In a bowl, combine lemon juice and salt. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Add the Balsamic Vinegar and then the garlic, add to bowl and set aside to steep. At this point, you can whisk in 3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese to add texture and flavor, if you like.
- Remove the center stem, cut the kale into thin slices and then cut ¼ pieces off the slice and add on top of dressing. Tip: hold the slices in one hand, roll them tightly together and then cut the ¼ pieces off of them.
- This right here is the secret – kale leaves are tough and they need massaging. Take the bowl and begin turning the kale leaves over in the dressing, massaging the kale to not only soften but to absorb more of the dressing. Do this for as long or little as you like, it’s your kitchen.
We recommend about 2-3 minutes of massaging and if you want to be extra decadent, you can even let everything sit for 30 minutes. But if you’re hungry and ready, just continue to the next step.
Watch here ....
- Once you are satisfied, you’re home free because you can do whatever you like. Add the rest of the parmesan cheese, add a couple handfuls of pomegranates and or bread crumbs. Some people like adding avocado, apple slices, dried currants, pine nuts, hickory smoke balsamic chicken whatever you do - follow your gut!
INGREDIENTS – SERVES 3-4
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup Nuvo Early Harvest or your favorite Nuvo Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Godmother 18yr Traditional White Vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed with the flat side of a knife, peeled and minced
- 8 to 10 ounces washed and dried kale leaves, thick stems removed (weight after trimming).
- ½ cups freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
- ½ cup pomegranate (optional)
- ¼ cup croutons (optional)
Thanks & stay healthy!