Warm Chickpea Salad
PREP TIME COOK TIME
10 minutes 1 hour 20 minutes
1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt, or more to taste
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 cup Nuvo's Early Harvest Olive Oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced fennel
- 3 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
Place the chickpeas in a large saucepan, add 1/2 teaspoon of the red pepper flakes and garlic. Cover with 3 quarts water. Bring to a low simmer and cook uncovered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until tender.
Remove the beans from the heat, add the salt and thyme and let stand for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, the remaining 1 teaspoon red pepper, the smoked paprika, lemon juice, and vinegar. Whisking constantly, slowly add the oil. Add salt to taste if necessary.
In a large bowl, toss the fennel and red onion with 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
Drain the beans and discard the thyme and garlic. Toss with the fennel and onion.
Stir in the parsley and toss with the remaining vinaigrette.
Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.
You can also add diced tomatoes, boiled and diced potatoes, kale leaves, baby spinach and basil leaves for fun.