Olive Oil Preserved Veggies
PREP TIME COOK TIME
20 minutes 30 minutes
SERVINGS: 1 Quart Jar
- 4 cups vegetables (any vegetable of your choice) like Beetroots, eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, heirloom beans, green beans, peppers etc.
- 2 parts B.S.G. olive oil
- 1 part Balsamic Vinegar or white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Herbs- rosemary, basil, thyme, sage etc.
- Flavorings- raw or roasted garlic, chili flakes, lemon zest, preserved lemon, hot chilies etc.
- Sterile Jars
- Choose your vegetables.
- Roast (or grill) – zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, eggplant, sliced onions, whole garlic cloves, etc.
- Cook veggies in boiling water (blanch) like beetroots, green beans, artichoke hearts, heirloom beans etc.
- Place cooked/roasted vegetables in a bowl.
- In order to cover veggies with 2 parts oil, to one part vinegar, add ½ cup oil and ¼ cup vinegar. Add more if needed sticking with proportions.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add flavorings – fresh herbs, garlic, lemon zest, preserved lemon, roasted garlic, chili flakes and hot chilies.
- Put all of it in the jar.
To preserve it for one week, stir with the spoon to remove air bubbles and add more oil and vinegar combination and then refrigerate.
If you wish to store for a longer duration, instead of placing them in the jar, keep the mixture in the bowl and then refrigerate overnight (removing fresh ingredients). Sterile a jar and put veggies, add oil vinegar marinade, remove air bubbles. Refrigerate.